Hair dryers are essential for many of our curly hair care routines even if they are only used once or twice a week. And while it’s a common tool, it’s a little-known fact that its filter needs periodic cleaning to prevent burnout. So, to not let your investment go to waste, here’s when and how to clean your hair dryer to keep it running smoothly for years to come!
Why you need to clean your hair dryer
- Keeps the motor running smoothly
- Prevents overheating, sparks
- Helps your hair dryer last longer
- Faster drying time for your hair
When to clean your hair dryer
It’s recommended to clean your hair dryer every 3 to 6 months to keep it performing at its best. It only takes a few minutes to keep your diffusing time as fast as possible and save you from having to buy a new hair dryer, again.
How to clean your hair dryer
- Unplug the hair dryer
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down the outside of the hair dryer
- Find the vent, usually at the back end of the hair dryer, and twist off the cap as indicated.
- Remove the filter and brush away dust with a cleaning toothbrush, wiping off dust onto a towel or paper towel as you go. Try brushing back and forth or in small circles. Rinse the filter with clean water if needed.
- Air dry cap and filter until completely dry.
- Reassemble the filter and cap back onto your hair dryer.
How to store your hair dryer
- Wrap the cord (off of the hairdryer itself) and secure it with a velcro strap. This will help to prevent the cord from tangling.
- Place in a storage bag to prevent dust accumulation
- Store away from wet zones – to prevent water splashing on the motor or buttons
Ultimately, a clean hairdryer will work better to dry your hair quickly and keep your dryer lasting longer. Cheers to that!
Here’s the hair dryer I’m using and loving now. For more hair dryer recommendations, stay tuned for an upcoming post!