I love effortlessly chic fashion and this Curly French Twist is the perfect style mate.
As an appreciation of this modern classic, I’ve put together a styling tutorial and 4 Styled Looks to inspire your creativity and help you craft your own signature look.
The Curly French Twist Tutorial
The classic French Twist is an essential for all hair types and can be worn for so many occasions. Better yet, with the added texture of curls and modern accessories, this hairstyle is amplified to an effortless chic look that make heads turn.
I hope you’ll enjoy the simplicity and ease of this look too!
The Curly French Twist-The Curl Story-
is perfect for a quick vacation updo, a leisurely weekend outing,
or an elegant night out.
Items Needed: Hair Clip Barrette + Bobby Pins + Finishing Spray
1. Gather your hair into a low pony at the base of your neck. With hair still hanging down, slowly twist your hair in one direction, twice. This will ensure the twist is secure at the base of your hairline.
2. Tilt hair upwards and continue twisting until you reach the crown of your head. Hold the twist there with your hand or with a sectioning clip.
3. As the twist is not yet connected the rest of your hair, here is where the magic happens. Begin sliding over the hair from the one side of your head (in the same direction of the twist) and over the twist. This will cover the twist and help secure it in place as well.
4. The twist can then be secured with bobby pins tucked into the twist from top to bottom and/or with a barrette at the top of the twist.
Curly French Twist + Accessories
Look 1: Horizontal Barrette
If you are using a barrette as I am here, clips the ends up with the barrette in a horizontal position. For very thick hair and high density hair, an Extra Volume Barrette is recommended
Add a few bobby pins into the remainder of the twist to keep it secure, especially if you have a layered haircut.
With the ends of your hair exposed as the top, feel free to leave the curls loose or slightly tuck them with a bobby pin or two to hold them in place.
Look 2: Vertical Barrette
Rather than securing the end of the twist up with a barrette, use a few bobby pins to secure the twist. Continue with a few more bobby pins either horizontal or tucked vertically up into the twist. You will be able to add a decorative barrette vertically along the twist.
Look 3: Low Vertical Barrette
Depending on the design of the barrette, you may have several placement options. I loved this beaded flower barrette as its balanced and free-form shape allows for varying placement. Whether at the center, low on the twist or up higher towards the crown of the head, each look presents its own vibe.
Look 4: High Vertical Barrette
Though this tutorial has been focused on barrettes, you can also opt for decorative bobby pins or flowers to suit the occasion.
The Finishing Details
The finishing details are always important to complete the look. Ideally, I would use a finishing spray to add that extra bit of shine and tuck in any flyaways. Overall however, I love leaving some loose curls around the edges to give this look an effortless grace.
My current favorite is the Kenra 25 Flexible Hold Hairspray (Amazon) or (Target) for its magical mist and touchable hold. I use a Spray & Rake technique to gently move it through my curls.
Questions? Leave them below! And if you enjoyed this, you may like this post too!
Here are my Wash Day Products for this Look:
– Jessicurl Rockin’ Ringlets
– Giovanni Eco Chic, L.A. Hold Styling Gel
– Wet Brush for Detangling (Amazon) or (Ulta)
– Hair Dryer & Diffuser
– Gentle Hair Towel
Leave a Reply