Adding holiday flair to your hairstyle can be as easy as adding a statement hair accessory. Whether you want to wear your hair up or down, these two looks celebrate your curls and add a bit of sparkle.
Watch the tutorial video here for easy styling tips to master these 2 looks on wavy and curly hair.
Side Swept Curls
Best for short hair, medium-length, or long hair
This is a flirty and elegant look that draws attention to your eyes. It’s perfect for highlighting special occasion makeup and statement earrings.
01. To begin, I style this look with a diagonal part and my bangs to one side.
02. Then, on the opposite side of your bangs by gather a small section of hair at the hairline. Gently twist the section of hair away from your face.
03. Gather a bit more hair from below the twist and add to the twist. Continue adding to the twist until you reach about the ear level. Depending on the density of your hair, you can keep the twist close to your ear. However, as my hair has a lower density on the sides, I created this twist at a diagonal towards the back of my head. This helps to give the decorative hair comb more structure to hang on to.
04. Secure the bottom of the twist at about ear level with at least 2 bobby pins. To keep them hidden, tuck the bobby pins down through the top of the twist and parallel to your head. This will help to conceal the pins in the twist. When adding the second bobby pin, cross it over the first pin to create an “x”. This will lock your bobby pins in place to prevent slipping.
05. Finally, tuck the decorative hair comb into the curve of the twist!
Twist Up Updo
Best for medium-length to long hair
This hairstyle looks so much more complicated than it is! It’s the curls that provide all the magic for this glamorous look.
01. To begin, flip all of your hair forward. Gather a small handful of hair at the nape of your neck and twist it to one side. Gather more hair from one side and tuck it into the twist. Repeat by gathering a bit of hair from the opposite side. Continue until the twist is at the crown of your head. Then, secure the twist at the top with a volume barrette.
02. Next, flip your hair back up to a standing position and finish styling the top. You’ll likely have your bangs and the front sides of your hair still down. Take the two loose sides of your hair and cross them back over the volume barrette. Pins the ends of these sections down with one or two bobby pins.
03. Facing a mirror, arrange your gorgeous curly ends on top with more bobby pins as needed.
04. Finally, position the decorative pin facing up and tuck it under the hidden barrette.
Looking for a fabulous decorative hair comb?
See my favorite places to shop for hair accessories here too!